Saturday, August 8, 2015

Day 1 Half Done!

5:00 Wake-up (no alarm).

Sit on the beach while the coffee brews and watch daylight come across the water.

Jason cooks brekkie.

Angie eats the brekkie that Jason cooked.  

Walk on beach.

See a couple heading out to snorkel and decide now is as good a time as any.

Spend 30 min testing fit and adjusting straps.

Head out!

Look undoubtedly like newbies trying to get the gear on.  "Hold this while I adjust the strap.  Wait, don't let the fin float away!"

Snorkel and think "Maybe we should have invested in an underwater camera."

Have a heartattack thinking that Jason is being attacked by a shark when fins start flailing and he starts to scream curse words.

Swim away quickly while Jason tries to escape the fish that tried to eat him.  

Try to give Jason pointers like "Don't swim backwards and try to kick him with your fins - turn around and motor away!!!"

Jason doesn't listen.  In his defense that sucker was really aggressive and bit his finger hard!  I wouldn't want to turn my back either.

Head back to dry land.  

Laugh myself silly.

Drop gear inside and walk back out for some swimming.

Still laughing like a mad woman.  Jason berates me for leaving him in his time of need making me laugh even harder.

Hang out on the beach drinking coffee .  Jason buys some "Cuban cigars" from a beach vendor who asks him "is that all you smoke?"

9:00 in the morn.....


Onto a 2 hr nap.

Then Jason cooked me lunch. 

Halfway through day 1!  Woohoo!

1 comment:

Big Poppa said...

Flailing? I don't think so. Moving rapidly away from a deadly encounter with calm determination maybe. Ok, I was a teensy bit scared as the devil fish started bearing down on my wounded finger. It was touch and go for a minute. Almost didn't make it off the reef alive! And where was my swim buddy you ask? 50 feet away and swimming for her life. What if I had not beaten back the attack, I was all alone, so alone...